So lockdown is in full swing here in the UK, and some people are struggling to get hold of gluten free flour.
If you didn’t know already, there are a BUNCH of businesses delivering gluten free flour, check out my last post all about them…
But if you came here for a flourless cake SOS immediately, gluten free or not, then fear not. I have the recipe for you! And the cake itself is also dairy free too.
I started making ‘fatless’ cakes for a friend who had to follow a fat free diet, and this chocolate one went down an absolute treat, so I continue to make this chocolate one especially.
Although I’ve decided to decorate mine with buttercream and sprinkles, I appreciate that not everybody has access to certain ingredients, so I’ve just left the basic sponge recipe so you guys can pimp it up with whatever you have in your house.
But here’s some ideas for what I think they would go particularly well with:
- Chocolate Ganache Topping
- Chocolate Fudge Topping
- A white icing mix and sprinkles
- Or just plain with fruit or ice cream to accompany it
You could also mix some chocolate chips or fruit into the batter, I really want to try swirling peanut butter into them too. Yum!
But anyway, back to the cake! You will need an electric hand mixer for this, because the main part of the recipe involves whipping some egg whites up as this is the only leavening agent. I bought a cheap one from Wilko’s and it whips them up in no time! Oh, and you’ll want to make sure your bowl is absolutely clean and free from residue as that can affect the whip of egg whites.
All in all, I think this is so fun to bake and you can be really creative with them. So scroll down to see the recipe.
- 6 Medium Free Range Eggs, separated
- 70g Light Brown Caster Sugar
- 60g Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2tbsp Warm Water
- Preheat your oven to 180°c / 160°c Fan / Gas Mark 4.
- Line a square baking tin with parchment paper.
- Separate your egg whites and egg yolks into two separate mixing bowls. Put the egg Yolks to one side.
- In the bowl with the egg whites, use your hand mixer to whip them up until you get stiff peaks and then leave to one side.
- In the egg yolk mixture, add in your Sugar, Cocoa powder, Vanilla Extract and water and combine until you get a thick chocolatey paste. This should be smooth and pourable, but if it isn’t, you can add a little more water, a teaspoon at a time.
- Now carefully fold in the chocolate paste into the egg whites, a tablespoon at a time, until you can no longer see any egg whites. Be patient, and be careful not to knock out any air, as this will affect the rise.
- Pour your cake batter into the baking tin and then bake for 20-25 minutes, or until it springs back when you poke it.
- Your cake is done! Decorate it how you wish and enjoy!
Subscribe to my blog below if you want to see more, and follow me on my social media (links below) to see what else I’m enjoying!
Thanks for reading,
One thought on “5 Ingredient FLOURLESS chocolate cake recipe. (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)”