Got a Valentine to treat but don’t know what to treat them to? Treating family or maybe yo’self? These cupcakes are suitable for almost everyone as they are free from egg, dairy and gluten.
Now, I hated Valentines day, and I will always have a problem with the fact it’s one day a year, you can tell your partner you love them any day, restaurants and cinemas are always packed yada yada yada… BUT it’s my fourth year with my other half, and so I’m lightening up a little bit. I prefer staying at home and making things so who can say no to cake?! I also love the LoveHearts sweets, so what better time to make these than for Valentines?
I decided to experiment and make this recipe vegan, since you never know who is going to want some of these bakes. And it literally took me all day to perfect the frosting, as I wanted to make it fizz with sherbet, but not everything goes to plan right?
So here’s the recipe for these yummy cakes! I bought a bunch of measuring cups so I apologise that it’s not in grams.
For the Cupcakes
1 cup Caster sugar
1 1/2 cups Gluten free flour
1tsp Baking powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
1sp Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Coconut oil (melted)
1 cup Soya milk
1tbsp Apple cider vinegar
For the icing
1 cup Pure Free From Soya Spread (or any vegan spread)
4 cups Icing sugar
1tsp Pink food colouring
Packet of sherbet
Edible glitter spray
Edible glitter flakes
Love heart sweets
Preheat the oven to 170•c and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil and all of the wet ingredients together, and sieve the dry ingredients in, and mix until there’s a thick batter.
- Scoop into the muffin cases and bake for 15-18 minutes, or till when you press your finger in the middle, they pop back up like a sponge.
- While the cake cools, add the spread to a bowl, and slowly mix in the icing sugar
- Add in the food colouring and mix until it forms thick ,soft peaks.
- Transfer these to a piping back with a star nozzle, and pipe into swirls on top of the cooled cakes.
- Sprinkle the sherbet, glitter, and spray the edible glitter on top of the cakes, and finish it off with a Love Heart sweet on top of the swirl.
And if you don’t have a valentine, here’s some advice from Ru Paul:
Can I get an amen?!