It’s June, the weather is getting nice, and its also the start to British Tomato Season! The British Tomato Growers’ Association has been celebrating British Tomato Fortnight recently, which celebrates the start of the season. (20 May -2nd June)
From now until the end of summer, consumers will find quality, seasonal British tomatoes in abundance and all different varieties in nationwide supermarkets and stores. British Tomatoes are grown under strict environmental standards, and this also means that no chemical pesticides are used to control them.
I also really love the different types that you can get from your local greengrocer, such as these Caramella variety, which are a reddish brown colour, and have an excellent sweet flavour! They’re also new for this season too!
I love juicy fresh tomatoes, and think they are so versatile! Whether you’re putting them in a salad, making salsa, or using them in a curry, there is a type for everything. They’re also great for your skin, and contain lots of lovely vitamins like vitamin C and potassium.
I was kindly sent some different varieties from the British Tomato Growers’ Association, and you can’t beat some fresh tomatoes! These ones featured in the recipe were supplied from Eric Wall Limited, one of the largest Tomato Nurseries in Britain, who use new and innovative techniques to get their high quality tomatoes! And did you know that storing tomatoes in the fridge is a big no-no, as this spoils their wonderful flavour?
Speaking of flavours, I thought I would make a recipe for these tasty muffins. Cheese and tomato is a match made in heaven, and these are great to make for breakfast or to put in with your lunch!
Each muffin has a Sophie Jane (or cherry) tomato hidden away inside, so you get a pop of fresh tomato goodness!
Another pro-tip… I used muffin cases for these, but the cheese makes the muffin stick to it a little, so grease/flour them before adding the muffin batter into them to prevent them sticking.
I think these are really great, soft and fluffy, so why not give them a go?
Gluten Free Cheese and Cherry Tomato Muffins
Yummy gluten free cheesy muffins with fresh basil and a fresh cherry tomato centre.
- Preheat the oven to 185°c and grease or line a muffin tray.
- First you’ll need to make the muffin mixture.
- Beat the margarine until fluffy and smooth.
- Beat in the egg until well combined.
- Then, add the milk and lemon juice and mix well.
- Finely chop some fresh basil leaves (to taste) and add them to the mix.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum and mix to get a thick smooth batter.
- Once that is done, prick 6 tomatoes with a cocktail stick.
- Using a spoon, fill 6 muffin cases a quarter of the way.
- Next, place one of those 6 tomatoes that you pricked holes in, in the centre of each muffin case, and cover it over with the rest of the muffin mixture.
- Chop the rest of the tomatoes in half, and place one half on the top of each muffin, pressing it down in place gently.
- Bake the muffins for around 25 minutes and Leave to cool and then enjoy!
So there you have it! Definitely check out Eric Wall Tomatoes and British Tomatoes on Instagram and Twitter @britishtomatoes & @ericwalltomatoes for more recipes and inspiration! #BTF19
Subscribe to my blog below if you want to see more, and follow me on my social media (links below) to see what else I’m enjoying!
Thanks for reading,