Ever since I was a kid, I remember the best feeling was going up the high street to the Chinese Takeaway on a Friday and getting a curry from there. In my opinion, you just can’t beat the smell, the flavour and taste of a Chinese curry. Eating my curry meant that school was over for the week, and I can enjoy my weekend, doing whatever 13 year old emo me did back then.
But unfortunately, these days are over as being gluten free means you have to be extra careful with Chinese food. A lot of it contains soy sauce, and many takeaways still don’t really know much about allergens. I know the places I used to go to are clueless when it comes to wheat. There may be the odd select few Chinese restaurants and takeaways who DO cater for the gluten free community, but some of us aren’t quite lucky to have the luxury of living near these.
For ages, I’ve wanted to create my own Chinese style chicken curry, and after months of trying to perfect the sauce and by Jove! I think I’ve got it! I have posted it a few times on my social media channels in the past, and people have requested that I share the recipe, but usually I just chuck things in without measuring. This time, I made sure that I definitely noted down the quantities of the ingredients used in it.
I’ve been batch cooking this recently and freezing it, so when I finish work late I can just re-heat it and enjoy. It’s dead easy to make and makes you wonder why you didn’t do this in the first place!
You can also make this vegetarian friendly by replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock, and replacing the chicken with the Quorn pieces.
So without further ado, here is my gluten free Chinese style chicken curry!
Gluten Free Chinese Style Chicken Curry
A gluten free alternative to the classic Chinese Takeaway dish .
- 4 Chopped Chicken Breasts (or vegetarian alternative)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Crushed Garlic clove
- Low calorie oil spray
- 2tsp Mild Curry Powder
- 1tbsp Gluten free plain flour
- 1tsp Turmeric
- 1/2tsp Ginger
- 1tsp Brown Sugar
- 3tbsp Gluten free Soy Sauce/Tamari
- 400ml Chicken Stock (or vegetarian alternative)
- 1 handful Frozen Peas
- Rice to serve
- Fry the onion off in an oiled pan, on a medium heat until it is soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, ginger and brown sugar and cook for a minute.
- Mix some of the stock with the gluten free flour in a separate bowl, until it forms a smooth paste. Add this to the pan with the onion and spices in.
- Add the gluten free soy sauce and the rest of the stock. Bring to a simmer until the sauce thickens.
- In a separate pan, oiled with the low cal spray, fry the chicken breasts until browned and cooked through.
- Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and stir through. Stir in the peas and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
So there you have it! I’ve included the vegetarian alternatives to ingredients that need to be. And you can use low salt stock if you want it to be on the healthier side. I think the gluten free soy sauce adds that classic flavour that makes a Chinese curry taste so good!
Let me know if you try my recipe, or what other food you miss since being gluten free.
Thank you for reading!
**Please note, I make no profit from anything advertised on WordPress.com – the advertisements are not put there by me. **