So me and my sister share a Pinterest board with meal ideas, and we enjoy bonding over recipes! Recently she has started making healthy vegetarian & gluten free meals and they look incredible. We live 100 miles apart so I don’t get to see her very often, but she’s been emailing recipes to me and they are too good not to share with you all!
This recipe for the bean burgers is super simple, you do need a blender for it though. As well as being simple, it’s super nutritious as well. It’s made with cooked tinned kidney beans which cost on average £0.40p, and gluten free breadcrumbs. You could probably swap the breadcrumbs for some smashed up crackers that are laying about in your cupboard, but you have no idea what to do with them.
The patties are hella tasty and the texture of them is perfect. Not to mention Kidney beans are a great source of fibre, protein and folate, as well as there being 4mg of iron per cup of them.
- 400g Red kidney beans
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large egg
- 100g Gluten Free Bread Crumbs (have extra available to add if mixture too wet)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Food Blender
- Good Frying pan
- Spatula / fish slice
- Mixing spoon
- Baking tray
- Small plate
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans until juices run clear.
- Place kidney beans and olive oil in a food blender and whiz until a firm dough is formed.
- Transfer the bean mix in a large bowl, add the spices and combine.
- Add the egg and combine with the bean mix.
- Next add the bread crumbs to the bean mix. Add a little at a time and mix until you have a firm non-sticky dough.
- With the mix prepared, shape into patties (4 if you want large patties, 6 if going for smaller patties).
- On a small plate / tray place excess bread crumbs and place the patties in the breadcrumbs until coated- if your mix is especially dry you may want to dip the patties in an egg wash before coating.
- Chill your patties for 10 mins in the fridge.
- Preheat oven at 180 – 200 degrees.
- Heat a small amount of oil of your choice in a pan and place the patties in 2 at a time, flipping once a crust is formed.
- Once sealed place in an oven on a baking tray for 15 minutes until patties are cooked through.
- Serve with whatever topping, gluten free bun and sides you wish and enjoy!
One thought on “RECIPE: Gluten & Dairy free Spicy Veggie Bean Burgers”
Ooh these look lovely, I will give them a go with egg replacer to make them vegan 🙂 will report back x