For some time now, Chiquito Restaurant Bar and Mexican grill has been a bit vague on the gluten free front. With a gluten intolerance menu for quite a while now, I get why people (especially coeliacs) wouldn’t want to risk it somewhere where the menu isn’t Coeliac UK Accredited, and there was a disclaimer on their old menu to say they were not 100% free from contamination.
But at last! They’ve updated their menu from the start of February 2017 in all branches, and the lovely people over at Chiquito have been working with Coeliac UK to ensure there are more than enough options for you to eat if you want to eat completely gluten free! How exciting?! They still have the great food from the ‘gluten intolerant’ choices menu, but obviously it means it’s safe for coeliacs.
According to the disclaimer on the menu (which has the snazzy new CUK logo on it):
“To reduce the risk of contamination from allergens during preparation we have controlled procedures in our kitchens. We take great care through processes and training to ensure that the meals served from this menu are gluten free. Gluten free means foods that contain gluten at a level of no more than 20 parts per million (20ppm). We cannot guarantee that any dishes on our main menu are gluten free.”
So, as you can see they’ve changed from their original disclaimer, and also a little warning, in case the dishes on the main menu are similar to the ones on your new gluten free menu. Obviously if you have a gluten/wheat allergy it might be different to you.
Now, what to expect from said new and improved menu:
- Apart from the updated disclaimer, the tacos are gone! Yes, that is no more tacos for us. That’s the sad part out of the way.
- Two starters have been removed – the Nachos and Cantina Mushrooms have also gone. I’m sensing a lack of crunch here, by the way.
- There’s a new naked burger on the block. And it’s incredible. It’s the naked double chicken cowboy and it comes in the form of 2 chicken breasts topped with BBQ pulled pork, and served with sweet potato wedges. Honestly, amazing.
- The lime and chilli broccoli is gone, hooray! Honestly, it was gross. Also, the skin on fries are gone, leaving no white potato based sides for us, but the sweet potato fries are now wedges, meaning we only have ‘good’ carbs to eat. And I don’t know how to feel about this.
- Lastly, and on to the best part – there is a new dessert! A steaming hot blueberry and apple crumble is available on the Gluten Free menu now, and it’s gorgeous, served on a red hot plate fresh out of the oven with vanilla ice cream. It took me forever to eat it because the portion was huge!
Thinking about it now, it seems like there are less options, BUT the options there are a lot more nutritious and a hell of a lot safer for us to eat I suppose.
I have to be honest here, I used to go anyway and always be terrified of the ‘gluten intolerance’ menu in the past, (please don’t shout at me) and I’m going to be one of those people who brag about never having any problems, because the staff at my branch know me and always make sure everything is okay. BUT I’m now re-evaluating everything I ever ate there, especially the tacos, because maybe they weren’t safe in the first place? I don’t really know. You can all shout at me now.
I personally think that the addition of the new burger and dessert are both incredible. I really do have a good time at Chiquito and I feel a lot safer eating there, the staff are really knowledgable. It’s now definitely one of my favourite places to visit, and if you download their app, you can win money off vouchers too (I had a free dessert for 2 after playing a game in the app).
You can view the menu in pdf version HERE or online. And don’t forget to rub the geckos head for good luck when you enter! Haha!
Thank you for taking the time to read, and if you haven’t already, please follow me and subscribe. The links for my social media channels are below.